CORPUS LINGUISTICS PROJECT: SEEKING THE USE OF DEMONSTRATIVE IN SONGS WRITTEN BY EMINEM
Keywords:Demonstrative, Seeking, Eminem Songs, Corpus, Linguistics Project
AbstractThe object of this study is to identify the kinds of demonstrative that are used in the songs written by Eminem. In English, there is the word this, that, these, and those. Demonstratives are used to designate the place for an object, person, or thing and to indicate pronouns that have already been mentioned. The song contains lyrics and music. Songs can be used as an easy learning medium in learning a foreign language. In improving understanding of English about demonstrative, this research belongs to qualitative research to find out the dominant types of demonstrative that used in the songs by Eminem. The observation method is a method used by researchers to collect data, while the data collection technique is listening and analyzing the songs. The data obtained came from the songs contained in the album written by Eminem from 2009 to 2014. In this study, researchers looked for the most widely used demonstrative words in Eminem's song lyrics. There were 59 songs in the analysis and consisted of 5 albums. The use of demonstratives in the song is very much, especially the demonstrative "That". That is used to replace singular and uncountable nouns that are far away.
Briones, R. R. (2017). A demonstrative analysis of news articles using fairclough's critical discourse analysis framework. Beyond Words. doi:https://dx.doi.org/10.33508/bw.v5i1.1117
Catasso, N. (2011). The grammaticalization of demonstratives: a comparative analysis. Journal of Universal Language. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.22425/jul.2011.12.1.7
D, W. (2017). Metode penelitian. 63-71. Retrieved from http://repository.radenintan.ac.id/2411/5/BAB_III_bu_dian.pdf
Dewi, K. S. (2020). Pentingnya menguasai bahasa inggris dalam era globalisasi masa kini. Retrieved from kompasiana: https://www.kompasiana.com/karinasofia13/5e4d18f0d541df2b1627e552/pentingnya-menguasai-bahasa-inggris-dalam-era-globalisasi-masa-kini?page=all
FARLEX. (2020). Demonstrative pronouns. Retrieved from THE FREE DICTIONARY BY FARLEX: https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Demonstrative-Pronouns.htm
Ginger. (2021). Demonstrative pronouns. Retrieved from GINGER: https://www.gingersoftware.com/content/grammar-rules/demonstrative-pronouns/
HC Editor Indonesia. (2015). Apa itu efl (english as foreign language). Retrieved from hotcoursesINDONESIA: https://www.hotcourses.co.id/study-abroad-info/university-applications/apa-itu-efl-english-as-a-foreign-language/
Hertzberg, K. (2019). Hereâ€™s how to write an introduction (with examples and tips). Retrieved from grammarly blog: https://www.grammarly.com/blog/how-to-write-an-introduction/
Jennifer Betts. (2020). Effective research abstract examples. Retrieved from YOUR DICTIONARY: https://examples.yourdictionary.com/effective-research-abstract-examples.html
Lailli. (2020). Teks analisis data penelitian kuantitatif. Retrieved from TambahPinter.com: https://tambahpinter.com/teknik-analisis-penelitian-kuantitatif/
Listiani, H. (2015). An analysis of figurative language found on the song lyric by taylor swiftâ€™s â€œspeak now" album. Retrieved from http://e-repository.perpus.iainsalatiga.ac.id/135/1/Heny%20Listiani_11310090.pdf
Merriam_Webster. (2021). Demonstrative l definition of demonstrative by merriam-webster. Retrieved from Merriam-Webster: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/demonstrative
Miller-Wilson, K. (2021). Strong introduction paragraph examples. Retrieved from YOUR DICTIONARY: https://examples.yourdictionary.com/strong-introduction-examples.html
Mujtaba, A. (2016). Manfaat dan pentingnya belajar bahasa inggris di era globalisasi. Retrieved from ENGLISH ONLINE: https://belajarbahasainggrisonline-gratis.blogspot.com/2014/09/manfaat-pentingnya-belajar-bahasa-inggris-di-era-globalisasi.html
Nordquist, R. (2019). Demonstrative in Grammar. Retrieved from ThoughtCo.: https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-demonstrative-in-grammar-1690433
Paturusi, M. A. (2016). The studentsâ€™ difficulties in using demonstrative pronoun. Jurnal Pendidikan Bahasa Inggris EXPOSURE, Vol 5, No 2. doi:https://doi.org/10.26618/exposure.v5i2.841
PORTAL-ILMU.COM. (2016). Pentingnya bahasa Inggris di era globalisasi. Retrieved from PORTAL-ILMU.COM: https://www.sitrobbani.sch.id/2020/04/pentingnya-belajar-bahasa-inggris-di_11.html
Prahani, B. K. (2019). Cara menulis artikel ilmiah: pendahuluan (introduction). Retrieved from MEDIA ILMU: https://www.ilmiahku.com/2019/03/cara-menulis-pendahuluanintriduction.html
Prasetyo, A. (2017). Pengertian penelitian deskriptif kualitatif. Retrieved from Linguistik Id: https://www.linguistikid.com/2016/09/pengertian-penelitian-deskriptif-kualitatif.html
Setiawan, P. (2021). Pengertian bahasa menurut para ahli. Retrieved from GuruPendidikan.Com: https://www.gurupendidikan.co.id/pengertian-bahasa-menurut-para-ahli/
Suryani, A. I. (2014). A contrastive study of demonstrative pronoun in english. Jurnal Genta Mulia, 51-71.
Suryani, A. I. (2014). A contrastive study of demonstrative pronoun in english adn japanese. Jurnal Genta Mulia, 51-71.
Winarti, A. (2020). Contrastive analysis between indonesian and english demonstrative pronouns. Jurnal Literasi, Vol 1 No.1. Retrieved from http://jkqh.uniqhba.ac.id/index.php/literasi/article/view/151
Y.Briones, R. R. (2017). A demonstrative analysis of news articles using Faircloughâ€™s critical discourse analysis framework. Beyond Words. doi:https://doi.org/10.33508/bw.v5i1.1117
License and Copyright Agreement
In submitting the manuscript to the journal, the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- That its publication has been approved by all the author(s) and by the responsible authorities â€“ tacitly or explicitly â€“ of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
Authors who publish with Mimesis agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.